Master's Degrees and Graduate Diplomas (Continuing Education) More than 400 master's degrees and graduate diplomas to take a step forward in your professional career. Choose your future, choose UAB.

Types of visa

Types of Visa

If you are a Non-European Union citizen and you are preparing to study in Spain, you need to arrange your legal situation, depending on the duration of your stay.

Mobility within EU countries: All of those non-UE citizens who want to study at the UAB and do hold a valid EU student permit please check here for the legal procedures.

Period of studies up to three months

1) The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex II the countries whose nationals are exempted from the obligation to obtain a visa for study periods of up to three months. Those have to fulfill the legal requisites described in the Shengen Code, and in case of having to prolong the stay, it is possible to request an extension for a maximum of three more months. For more information consult Informaton Forms from the government. 

2) The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 of March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex I the countries whose nationals are submitted to the visa obligation (type C) to enter the Schengen Area. For more information, check the Immigration Office web.

Period of studies up to six months

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (Visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE), but contains a NIE number (ID number for Foreigners).

Period of studies longer than six months

Those non-EU citizens who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for an open visa for studies (type D). This type of visa (Visado D Estudios, Investigación) is valid for three months for entering the Schengen Area and once you have entered Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain. For more information, you can check check the information about how to get your TIE

The student permit is a temporary permit that permits you to stay in the country for the period of your studies. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies. Your academic performance will be taken into account when renewing your permit.  The document gives you the right to remain legally in the country while you study.

You will have a maximum of 30 days after entering the European Union to begin the process of applying for the Student Residence Card (TIE). For this, you will need to present your flight ticket (boarding ticket) or the stamp on your passport showing the date in which you entered the European Union.

You can apply for a visa through your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Important: All foreign official documents must be previously legalized and must be translated into Spanish or official language of the territory where the application is submitted.
For more information, see the Informaton Forms from the government.

Lost or stolen visa:

To report your visa lost or stolen, email the police report (preferably in Spanish or English) to:

Sección Visados
C/Ruiz de Alcorcón, 5
28071 Madrid

Be sure to include your personal data, an address where you wish to receive the confirmation of your visa and an e-mail address if you wish to receive a copy of this confirmation beforehand.

Initial study permit for non-UE citizens with regular situation in Spain

The initial residence permit is a procedure by which the person from a non-EU State is authorized to request  a residence permit for studies in Spain.

The application must be submitted at least one month before the expiration date of your regular status.

  • Non-EU citizenship.
  • Be in Spain in a regular situation:
    • If you have a short stay visa (maximum 90 days) or failing that, you can stay 90 days in the Schengen area without a visa, you must proceed to the processing of the stay permit for studies within the first 60 days of your stay.
    • If a residence and work permit is available, the study permit must be processed at least 30 days before the expiration of your residence and work permit.
  • Not be forbidden from entering into Spanish territory.
  • To have enough financial means.
  • Have a public or private medical insurance of a company that is allowed to operate in Spain.
  • Be admitted to a higher education centre in Spain to participate in a full-time program. The academic load considered for this case is 60 credits or at least 20 hours per week.
  • Official form EX00
  • Copy of all passport pages (Valid up to 3 months after the end of your stay in Spain).
  • Entrance stamp or declaration into the EU.
  • UAB admission letter or enrolment.
  • Medical insurance policy
  • Enough economic means for your stay. (See table of values).
    • Bank statement with the entity’s stamp. If is a foreign bank, the bank statement must be legally translated by a jury translator.
    • Notarial certificate from a familiar in which the familiar declares to be economically responsible for the economical expenses of the student during his study period in Spain. This letter must be legalized and legally translated into Spanish.

For longer than 6 months:

  • Criminal record certificate of the countries that you have lived in the last 5 years (Legalized and translated into Spanish).
  • Medical certificate certifying that there is no disease that may have public repercussions. This is an easy step. Once you are in Spain, you must go to a “TABACS” and buy this certificate. Then, you can go to a hospital (could be the SAS, the one located in the UAB or the one of your private health insurance) and tell them to fill it.

All documents scanned in PDF must be send to the International Support Service ( Our office will be responsible for submitting the documents electronically and as soon as you receive an answer, we will notify you.