Master's Degrees and Graduate Diplomas (Continuing Education) More than 400 master's degrees and graduate diplomas to take a step forward in your professional career. Choose your future, choose UAB.

Residence card renewal

Renewing your Student Residence Authorization Card - TIE

Due to staff problems at the Foreigners' Office, there are delays in the student permit application procedure. It is advisable, as far as possible, to submit the extension application within 60 days prior to its expiry in order to avoid remaining without a TIE for a prolonged period of time.



In Barcelona, the Students Sections of the Foreigners Office is in charge of solving the student permit renewals.

From the entry into force of the Law 39/2015, the student permit renewal applications must be submitted through electronic means (in the Foreigners Office Website or in the Electronic Register) or personally at any Register Office or in the Government General Registration Office, at 12, Bergara Street (Barcelona).

In order to submit application through the Internet, you must obtain an Electronic Signature in this website, remember that you won't be able to make it if your NIE has expired. After sending the application for electronic signature, you must visit your closer Registration Office or the General Register in the Rectorate building.

The ISS can check your student permit renewal application before submitting it. Furthermore, we can help you in obtaining your electronic signature, in case you are submitting your application through the Internet, and provide support on electronic procedures.


1. 790 052 tax: The TAX must be paid before presenting the renewal application and a copy must be provided of the receipt of payment along with the other documentation. Paying the tax does not automatically imply that renewal has been granted but it is not possible to favourably resolve the application unless it can be shown that the corresponding fees have been paid. If you have any problems downloading this PDF, you will also find the document at the end of this page.

2. Official Form Ex-00 original + 1 photocopy).  If you have problems in downloading this link, you can find the document at the bottom of this page.

3. Passport (main page).

4. Student Residence Card (front and back)

5. Enrolment application and receipt of payment ( or document accrediting you are a grant holder): It is valid to present a copy of the bank transfer. 

6. Last year's academic transcript.  If you are doing a PhD thesis, a letter from the your thesis director or tutor (you will find a draft at the bottom of this page).

7. If you have changed your residence, you must present the up-to-date Certificate of census Registration.

8. Economic means 

  • Have sufficient financial means to cover the costs of their stay and return to their country and, where appropriate, those of their family members, in accordance with the following amounts:   

For their support, monthly, 100% of the IPREM. Official value IPREM.

For the support of their family members, on a monthly basis, 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each of the remaining persons.


9. Medical insurance policy. Click here for more information.

From June 25th, the Social Security card will not be considered enough for the NIE renewal procedure. It will be needed a "Entitlement to medical assistance", issued in one of the National Institute of Social Security offices.
If it is not possible, it will be needed a private medical insurance.

Please remember that the deadline to apply for an extension of the stay for studies is 60 calendar days prior to the expiration of the authorization and 90 calendar days later, although the day after the expiration of the authorization its holder will be in an irregular situation.

Check the Handbook for the renewal of the NIE with all the information detailed.