Mobility & international exchange


All you need to know

In the following sections you will find detailed information on how to prepare before, during and after your exchange stay.

How to apply for a place and what documents do I need?

You will find information on how to apply and attach documents at this link.

You will also find more information on the corresponding program page.

How to check the destinations and which one is ideal for me?

The ideal destination depends on your academic motivation (languages, cultures...) and the field of your studies. The academic management of your faculty will have relevant information in relation to this matter. You can consult the map of destinations according to the program you choose. Because the most convenient thing is to choose destinations where you can find study plans similar to those carried out at the UAB. For more information consult the Erasmus OUT page, in the section on Destinations.

Do I have to book accommodation at the host university, how do I do it? 

The host university will inform you of the various accommodation options. Some universities have university residence type accommodation, others will only send you a list of possible places to stay. In any case, whenever you make an accommodation reservation, check that it is within a website that meets security requirements for your data. At the same time check that the dates of the stay, the price broken down and the total price, the type of accommodation and the conditions and the cancellation policy are correctly displayed in the reservation.

What requirements do I have to meet to apply for an exchange place?

Be enrolled at the UAB or one of its affiliated centers. Having passed 60 credits when requesting the exchange. (There are some exceptions such as the Degree in Translation and Interpretation, the Degree in East Asian Studies and the Degree in Spanish and Chinese Studies: Language, Literature and Culture, from the Faculty of Translation and Interpretation) . Have the corresponding language certificates for the requested vacancies. And request a corresponding insurance for the mobility course.

We recommend consulting the specific information on your faculty's website.

I didn't enroll this year, but next year I would like to go on exchange. Can I make the request?

It is not possible. You must be registered at the time of making the application and during the entire exchange stay.

I have a low knowledge of the foreign language. Can I apply for an exchange?

If you really want to take advantage of your stay, you need to have a sufficient level of the foreign language in which the classes will be held. Depending on the destination you choose, they will be more or less strict in terms of language accreditation.

Once I have been assigned a place, how can I choose the subjects to study?

The most recommended is to take subjects related to studies and the appropriate language. You will usually find them on the website of your destination university.

What documents do I need if I make an exchange?

You will find the information on the page of each exchange program, download the program Dossier to see the details of the procedures to be carried out once you have the place assigned on the website.

Most of these documents can be downloaded from (the uab's internal web).

I'm an exchange student for the next year. What procedures do I have to do? 

You will find all the information about the academic and administrative procedures to be carried out with the UAB and the host university, in the Information Dossier of the exchange program in which you will make your stay. 

Information on Erasmus+ programme procedures 

Information on procedures for the UAB Exchange programme 

Information on procedures for the SICUE programme 

Mobilities are linked to the regulations, instructions and recommendations of global and national health institutions that limit international mobility. In addition, the mobility and grants will be subject to the conditions of continuity of the exchange programmes and/or acceptance by the host university. 

In all cases, we recommend that you do not pay any expenses in relation to the planned mobility (airplane tickets, accommodation, etc.) until you have the acceptance letter from the host university (and have processed a visa if necessary). At the same time, we recommend that you choose the options that allow you to recover the money in case of cancellation of the stay. 

On the website of the International Support Service of the UAB, you will find recommendations and information regarding your stay abroad.

I have already done an Erasmus Study stay, can I do an Erasmus stay again?

Yes. But keep in mind that there is a number of months that you cannot exceed by adding Erasmus Internships and Erasmus Studies.

How does Brexit affect my exchange?

The Brexit finishes the collaboration between UK and the EU and UK is no longer a country of the Erasmus programme. 

From 2023-24 mobilities with UK are part of the UAB Exchange programme.

The exit of the United Kingdom from the EU also causes the elimination of border agreements within the framework of the Schengen Area and the consequent limitation of mobility between countries. From January 2021, a visa will be required for stays equal to or longer than 6 months. The conditions are detailed on the official website of the British Government.

The European health insurance is still valid, but for annual stays the immigration health surcharge must be paid, together with the visa. For matters relating to insurance, it is preferable to contact the university of destination, as there may be particularities depending on the British territory in which the stay takes place.

How can I choose the subjects to study during my exchange?

The subjects can be consulted on the websites of the faculties. The subjects in English can be consulted at the following link.

  • Admissions

Admissions will be subject to final approval by the host faculty/school, as well as subject to the evolution of the pandemic. The faculty/school may reduce the number of admitted students in order to comply with all the necessary health measures.

At the UAB, the teaching model will be 100% face-to-face. Students must contact the Exchange Office of their host faculty to find out how they plan to organize their teaching. For information on the selection of subjects or on the Learning Agreement, you should also contact the Faculty's Exchange Office.

We recommend that students do not make any reservations before receiving the letter of invitation from the UAB. Now, before making reservations for plane tickets or accommodation well in advance, be careful and always choose options with a refund.

At the time of registration you will have to pay a small amount of €4.48 for the complementary insurance payment.

Admission requirements

Do you require a minimum GPA?
UAB does not require a minimum GPA.

How many credits should I have overcomed in order to come to UAB?
The amount of credits will be established by each home university, so please check with your International Relations Office.

Do you have language requirements to be accepted as an exchange student? As a general rule, it is recommended that students have a minimum language level of B1 on the language of instruction of the courses. However, some faculties have specific language requirements.

Faculty of Economics and Business: Minimum level of B2 of the language of instruction of the courses selected by the student.

Faculty of Political Science and Sociology: Minimum level of B2 of the language of instruction of the courses selected by the student. Keep in mind that there is a restriction on the number of courses you can attend in English and Spanish, a maximum of 2 subjects in English and 1 subject in Spanish per semester. See more information on the faculty website.

Faculty of Communication: Minimum level of B1 of the language of instruction of the courses selected by the student.

Faculty of Psychology: Minimum level of B1 in Spanish to enroll in courses in Spanish and in courses in English as well. Keep in mind that the faculty’s offer of courses in English is 2 subjects per semester and the demand to take these courses is bigger than the room available, so all students should be able to take courses in Spanish too. See more information on the faculty website.

When will I receive my acceptance letter?
Once the application period is closed, within 2-3 weeks after the closure.

  • Protocol for International Emergencies

Members of the UAB community on mobility stays abroad should take into account the recommendations in the Protocol for International Emergencies before and during the mobility. 

  • Pre-arrival

Do you offer accommodation on the campus?
Yes. Vila Universitària is the UAB residential hall. From their website you will be able to reserve an apartment or room on the campus.

They can also help to find a flat in any of the towns nearby the Bellaterra campus. It is also possible to stay with a local family. For further information, please contact

Do I need to take healh insurance before coming to the UAB?
Any foreign student coming to the UAB must have medical insurance cover.  

If you are a citizen of the European Union, you have more information here.

If you are a non-EU citizen, you have more information here.

I will arrive a few days after the beginning of the semester. Is that ok?
Attendance to classes is mandatory, so you should be here when classes start. If you have an unexpected event and won’t be able to be here by the first day of class, you should write to the Exchange Office.

I’m a student with special needs. Do you have a support service?
We have a service called PIUNE from the FAS (Autonomous Solidary Foundation). It aims to help students with special needs, like a disability, to integrate in our community. They offer advice and support to students according to their individual needs and in coordination with teaching staff to enable them to enjoy a full and autonomous academic and social life at university. You can contact them at

  • Upon-arrival

When should I arrive to Barcelona?
Since attendance to classes is compulsory, it is recommended to arrive before the start of the classes. By doing so, you will also be able to take part in the International Welcome Days organized by the Community Involvement team, usually during the first week of the semester or the week before.

Where should I go at my arrival?
Depending on your host faculty, the enrolment will be face to face at your arrival or online. Just follow the instructions received by your Exchange Office. If you need to do the enrolment face to face, you should search for the administrative office at the faculty (Gestió Acadèmica).

As a EU citizen, do I need to complete any legal procedure at my arrival?
All EU-citizen students planning to stay in Spain longer than three months should apply for registration and get an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros). You can read more about that here.

As a non-EU citizen, what legal procedures do I have to complete at my arrival?
All non-EU citizen students must apply for a student visa before coming to the UAB. Once here you will have to apply for a Student Residence Authorization. You can read more about that here.

If you hold a valid residence permit in another EU country, you don’t need to apply for a new visa to enter into Spain if your residence permit is valid for your whole stay here. You will find more information here.

  • Selecting courses

How do I choose my courses?
Once you have received the acceptance letter, the Exchange Office at your Faculty will contact you regarding the selection of the courses. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, please contact them.

Can I choose courses from different faculties?
As an exchange student, you will be assigned to a faculty (host faculty) according to the bilateral agreement signed between the UAB and your home university. You must enrol at least a 50% of your credits at your host faculty (the one appearing in your acceptance letter). In case you are interested in taking courses from other UAB faculties/ schools, you will need the authorisation from all the faculties/ schools. Also, please note that some faculties have a high demand and availability of places is not guaranteed.

Can I choose master’s level courses?
Undergraduate level students are not allowed to take master’s courses.

Students at a master’s level can take master’s courses only if the agreement with their home university allows to do so. Moreover, the master’s coordinator at UAB must always give the final approval. To ask for this approval, please contact the Exchange Office at your faculty.

How many credits do I have to enrol at UAB?
According to our regulations, there is not a minimum or a maximum number of credits to be enrolled for incoming students. You should check this with your home university. 

I’m planning to do some research for my final thesis project during my exchange at UAB. Is that ok?
Some faculties do not accept students who intend to prepare their final thesis project or to do some research for it. If this is your case, please check the possibility with the Exchange Office at your faculty. In any way, all exchange students must be enrolled in their host faculty.

  • Language of the courses

How can I find out what language the subjects are taught in?
The courses are mainly taught in Catalan and Spanish. The use of one language or another will depend on the professor. In order to know the language of instruction for a subject, you should check the Study guide:

All bachelor degrees < Picking up a degree among the list < Study plan < Study guides

There are some subjects offered in English and other bachelors that are fully taught in English as well, but there are limited spots for exchange students.

If a subject is taught in Catalan, do I have to write my exams in Catalan?
No. You can choose to answer your exams in either Catalan or Spanish since both are official languages at the UAB.

  • Learning languages

Does UAB offer language courses?
Exchange students have the right to register to two free initial training in Catalan language (16 hours each) and then to continue learning this language with a subsidized offer. You can also attend subsidized lessons of Spanish language*.

Information on Catalan and Spanish courses for exchange students is available here. The prices of the courses can be checked from the webpage for each language.
* Exchange students accepted at the affiliated schools cannot benefit from the same discount.

  • Before departure

I have to go back to my university before the exams. Can I take my exams earlier?
The exams are scheduled in January and June. In case you have to leave earlier, you can try to agree to take an exam earlier with the professor, but it is only accepted under very exceptional situations.